Back in 1950, Italian designer Elio Martinelli designed what would go on to become one of the most innovative and experimental lighting manufacturers in Italy. Having received a degree in Stage Design from the Academy of Fine Arts in Florence, the young designer decided to establish his own studio in the medieval Tuscan town of Lucca, where he started creating lighting solutions and lamps for commercial use.
In the years that followed, Martinelli collaborated with various talented and renowned designers from all over the country, quickly granting the studio its well-deserved status as an innovative lighting manufacturer specialising in minimalist design. The products that came out of the studio were informed by the founder’s fascination with nature and simple, geometric shapes. Through the 1960s and 70s, the studio developed and started using a series of new materials that allowed them to create exciting, sculptural lamps.
The studio is now a third-generation family-owned business, and the current generation is set on keeping the legacy alive by launching nothing but the best of Italian design.
Martinelli Luce continues to be famous for its use of innovative technology, not to mention its sculptural and experimental approach to design and shapes.