Born: 1894 - Died: 1984
Best-known work: Radiohouse pendants, Radiohuset, Frederiksberg (1937–46), Folkets Hus Vesterbro, Copenhagen - currently Vega – (1935–56), Daells Varehus - currently Hotel Sankt Petri - central Copenhagen (1935), Gladsaxe Raadhus (1937), Shellhuset (1950–51) and Danish Embassy in Washington D.C. (1960)
Training: Architect, Royal Danish School of Arts.
Vilhelm Lauritzen was one of Denmark’s greatest modernist and functionalist designers. He was a trained architect and was active in his own company - Vilhelm Lauritzen A/S - until the age of 75.
In collaboration with Danish brand Louis Poulsen, he designed all the lamps for Radiohuset – ‘The Radio House’ - in 1937. Lauritzen was a master in combining material and light, and he worked his whole life on improving his lamps so they were in perfect harmony with the houses he designed.
The Radiohouse pendant is still a very popular and stylish lamp, well known throughout the whole world.